Australia's Century Of Surf
You save: 10%
Australia's Century Of Surf
The Australia's Century Of Surf is a book written by Tim Baker - In 100 years, surfing in Australia has morphed from exotic Pacific Island curio to disciplined training for surfers, from counter culture revolution to respectable mainstream sport. Along the way, it has shaped our coastal migrations, spawned vast business empires and design innovations, produced sports stars and spectacular casualties in equal measure, helped the beach overtake the bush as our national, natural habitat of choice. No other sport has been through such profound cultural shifts or had such far-reaching influence on our national identity. Australia's Century of Surf marks the centenary of the great Hawaiian Olympic swimmer and surfer Duke Kahanamoku's historic visit to Australia in 1914. Duke was not the first to ride a surfboard in Australia, just one of the historical misnomers uncovered in this comprehensive and insightful text. But Duke's historic surfboard riding displays in the summer of 1914/15 set in motion a great wave of oceanic obsession that continues to this day. The story of Australian surfing is largely one of schisms - between freedom seeking beach-goers and censorial puritans, between the quasi-militaristic regiments and volunteerism of surf life savers and the selfish pleasure-seeking pursuits of board riders, the generational and attitudinal gulf between longboarders and shortboarders, professionals and so-called soul surfers, territorial tensions between locals and tourists. Many of our most dramatic cultural conflicts have been played out on the nation's beaches - from the pitched battles between rockers and surfers in the '60s, to the teen gender politics of Puberty Blues and the racial clashes of the Cronulla riots.
Author: Tim Baker
SURFBOARD DELIVERY INFO
- 1/2 PRICE DELIVERY in Australia
- The delivery charges shows on the check-out page.
- Your purchase includes FREE DELIVERY INSURANCE.
- We ship our boards every weekday from NSW and delivery takes 2-5 business days depending on your delivery location. Towns outside main centres can take longer.
- We do not deliver to PO Box Addresses.
- All orders must be signed for.
- As we cannot confirm the delivery time and day we strongly recommend that you provide a work address where someone will be present to receive and sign for your surfboard during business hours.
- The couriers cannot accept instructions to "call before arrival" etc. If you are not at the delivery address a card will be left for you to call to rearrange a delivery day when you will be home.
NORMAL DELIVERY TIMES
|NSW Discount Surfboard Delivery||2-4 Business Days||$50.00|
|ACT Discount Surfboard Delivery||2-4 Business Days||$50.00|
|QLD Discount Surfboard Delivery||3-5 Business Days||$50.00|
|VIC Discount Surfboard Delivery||3-5 Business Days||$50.00|
|SA Discount Surfboard Delivery||4-5 Business Days||$50.00|
|WA Discount Surfboard Delivery||4-5 Business Days||$120.00|
|NT Discount Surfboard Delivery||4-7 Business Days||$200.00|
|TAS Discount Surfboard Delivery||4-5 Business Days||$50.00|
OTHER PRODUCTS - DELIVERY COST
- Free delivery for all orders over $49 (excluding all board types)
- $9.95 for orders under $49
- All orders are tracked online using predominantly TNT Couriers.
- You are emailed your tracking details after dispatch
- 30-Days: Ride it - Love it - Or Return it
- Check out our Stoked! Guarantee
- We deliver to some international countries.
- Please email us your address for a quote to deliver to your country
- We have a lot of experience shipping boards. We use the best packing materials and take extreme care packing our boards.
- Please ensure you complete a thorough check of your board as soon as you get it and notify us and the courier company immediately if there are any issues. We'll get back to you via phone or email ASAP.
- Please read our Terms & Conditions before placing any order
Most people are worried about buying a surfboard online and making the right choice. Surfboards Direct is run by surfers - and for surfers. Our mission is to help you get the best board or surfing accessory, first time and have the confidence that no matter what we will help you get it right.
So to make it easy for you we include the following to make your purchase completely worry free
- Our Stoked! Guarantee - ride it, love it or return it!
- Free Delivery Insurance with every surfboard order
- Free Surfboard Delivery to most states - NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT and SA (just $50 elsewhere)
- Free wax and fins with every surfboard order
We sell with the confidence of so many satisfied customers and awesome feedback. Just read the many testimonials we have and remember to get in touch with us before you purchase to help you with any aspect of buying from us