TAILPAD BUYERS GUIDE
Surfboards Direct stock a range of Surfboards tailpads, deck grip and tail patches for all types of surfboards. Read our buyers guide below to help you.
ABOUT SURFBOARD TAILPADS
Tailpads are used on the tail of a surfboard in place of using wax. They are grippier than wax and have raised arches and kickers to add further control and performance. An advantage of a tailpatch is it also protects the surfboard from pressure damage. The areas around the fin plugs can get depressions over time and a tailpad helps prevent this.
Deck grip is not normally used on the front half of the board due to the rash it can cause when you surf in your board shorts. Some can even damage a wesuit with repeated use. It was popular in the eighties but not so much anymore. Stand up paddle boards use full deck grip as you dont lie down on one.
HOW TO PUT ON A TAILPAD - VIDEO
TIPS FOR PUTTING ON A TAILPAD
- Put the board on a soft surface like carpet and best with fins out due to the pressure you might place on the board
- Always mark out where you are going to put it first
- If you have a wide board or big feet consider spreading out the pieces for more coverage if the design allows.
- Measure twice - stick once!
- Don't put it too far up the board as you can't move it back! If it's too far back you can always wax in front of it.
- If the grip allows, put the centre piece down first
- When placing the pieces on, start with the inside edge and roll out.
- Once in place firmly pressure all over the grip with special attention to the edges which will be the first area to peel up over time if not glued down properly.
- Ideally leave for 24-hurs before surfing to allow the glue to dry
WHERE TO BUY A SURFBOARD DECK GRIP
Surfboards Direct sell all types of surfboard tailpads and deck grip in our online store. You can buy tailpads and have them delivered anywhere in Australia. Our online surfboard grip shop features grip for all types of surfboards. Call 18004BOARDS