STAND UP PADDLE BOARD GUIDE
Stand up paddle boarding is so much fun. More and more people in Australia are finding how much fun standup paddling is and how they are an essential part of every surfer's quiver of boards. They are a great way for non surfers to get a taste of ocean life using them as a fun water vehicle on rivers, harbours and anywhere in the ocean.
Stand Up Paddle surfboards originally became popular in the tropical islands of Hawaii and Tahiti. SUP's can be used for a huge variety of fun in the surf. From flat water paddling around harbours and beaches, to small wave fun to big wave barrels.Stand up paddle boards are generally longer (9ft plus), thicker (3 inches+) and made of epoxy or similar construction to keep them light and strong. They have a full deck grip rather than wax and come with a carbon fibre paddle.
OUR STAND UP PADDLE BOARDS FOR SALE
Choosing your first stand up paddle board can be a daunting task. At Surfboards Direct we love paddleboarding with our owner Mark being an avid SUP racer and winner of many titles in NSW including the Sydney Ocean Series. We sourced SUPs to fit the requirements of a great design, super robust construction, light weight and a great all round board you can use in the surf and on flatwater.
WHO SHOULD BUY A SUP?
Stand Up Paddle is such a fun water sport anyone can have a go. Our SUPs are popular with:
- Anyone wanting some fun on the water
- Surfer's looking to get more time on the water
- People with access to any waterway - rivers, ocean or harbours
- People who want a more practical, portable, fun and better viewing option that kayaking and other boring sit down options!
STAND UP PADDLE BOARD SIZE GUIDE
Stand Up Paddle Boards
|Entry / Cruising||
< 65 kg
< 80 kg
< 120 kg
TYPES OF SUPS FOR SALE ONLINE
We stock a range of stand up paddleboards for sale online. SUPs for flatwater cruising or surfing.
ADVANTAGES OF STAND UP PADDLING
Stand up paddling make fat waves fun! A great way to find a whole new range of waves not worth shortboarding on. Plus SUPs are a great way to get out on the water when it's flat and sunny and you just want to cruise around. The are so versatile and and can be used for fising playing, throwing one on the boat or on the roof for a summer holiday. Anyone can have a a go at paddle boarding.
DISADVANTAGES OF STANDUP PADDLE BOARDING
The only difficulties with SUPing are the size of the boards for some smaller people to handle. Also handling such a large board in the surf can be challenging. SUPing in the surf should only be attempted by experienced surfers. Never stand up paddle in a crowded line up
- Always use a leash. Especially on windy days or in the surf
- Never SUP in the surf if you have not surfed before
- Don't SUP in a crowded lineup unless you are very experienced
- In the surf be conscious of other surfers and how close you get, especially if you are paddling out watch out for surfers behind or near you.
- Don't get wave greedy on a SUP. Let a few go through if you are catching more waves than everyone else.
- Don't learn to SUP on really windy days if the wind is not blowing towards the land. You might end up out to sea!
- If you are a poor swimmer start with a life jacket
- Get a lesson before you learn to SUP
WHERE TO BUY STAND UP PADDLE BOARDS
Our stand up paddle boards are for sale online and can be delivered Australia wide. If you are looking for a stand up paddleboard for sale in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast or anywhere in Australia why not just buy one online and have it delivered carefully and in perfect condition to your door. Our surfboard warehouse stock a wide variety of SUPs you can buy in our online shop.