WHAT SIZE SURFBOARD FOR A BEGINNER?
What the most Important when learning to surf?
Choosing the right beginner surfboard can be a real challenge, but if you follow a few simple guidelines then you make learning to surf a lot easier and have so much more fun.
In our opinion bigger is better, you'll hear about volume, length, width and thickness. The more volume you have in a board the easier it will be to catch waves, as you can paddle faster.
The volume of a surfboard is directly related to the size, so length, width and thickness all play an important factor.
When choosing the right beginners surfboard; a simple way of working out what volume would suit you the best is to take you weight in kilograms (Kg) and choose a board with 3/4 (75%) your body weight in volume of liters (L) on average.
As you get better at surfing you will be able to reduce the volume down, typically an intermediate surfer will choose a board thats approximately 40% of their body weight on average.
Using Our Beginners Surfboard Size Guide below will help you get the right surfboard to start enjoying your journey of leaning to surf .
Who are you:
- An absolute beginner
- I had a lesson or two but want my own board
What are some of your biggest surfing challenges:
- Catching a wave and getting to your feet!
- Knowing what board will help you learn the fastest
What’s going to solve them:
- You need maximum floatation and stability
- Ensuring your board is not too small. Going too small too early will actually slow your progress
- Understanding that it takes quite a longtime and dedication to learn to surf
The best beginner surfboard for you:
- Our Minimal and Longboard surfboards – these float the best and are the most stable. You will paddle and get to your feet the easiest. It takes a long time to master the basics so this will last you.
- But you really want a “normal” shortboard? Our fish surfboards have good volume for this but you really need to be light, small, young or very water fit and coordinated.
- What about a softboard? These are only good for small kids or for the first few goes.
What size surfboard should I ride then?
Use the below table as a guide.
BEGINNERS MINI-MAL AND LONGBOARD SURFBOARD SIZE GUIDE
|Mini-mal / Longboard Surfboards|